200+ Hour Teacher Training
What We Are…
The Yoga Vidya 200+ hour program is an multi-month, Yoga Alliance registered teacher training and in depth studies course. It is one of the most highly regarded and longest running programs in the NYS Capital Region. The program has run, and evolved, at Heartspace Albany since 2007. Many of the area’s best yoga teachers, including Heartspace owners Andrew and Elizabeth Kasius, are graduates of Lauren’s program.
How We Do It
Steeped in classical teachings and philosophy, yet entirely applicable to the modern day, this course is dedicated to creating extraordinary yoga instructors who are practitioners first. Yoga Vidya’s mission is to offer yoga as a method of self inquiry and wellness, building upon one’s personal practice and voice. Teaching skills and practicum are woven throughout the curriculum in an attainable, embraceable way. Each person is seen, heard valued and nurtured. This is not a cookie cutter program that teaches you only postures and scripts. We teach people, not just postures.
Who We Are
Director Lauren Toolin and guest faculty represent decades of experience, practice and training. Lauren has spent thousands of hours with her teachers Rod Stryker, Rodney Yee and Barbara Benagh and has been teaching since the early nineties. She also helped develop and directs the worldwide ParaYoga Certification Program and has certified and mentored more than 200 yoga instructors since 2004. Faculty Meghan Hogan and Preeti Bavdekar are both program graduates and are stellar teachers in their own right. Loretta Tharp, guest instructor, is a veteran yogini and yoga therapist.
In this eight-month long lifechanger, you will explore and come away with:
- Study of the seminal philosophical texts of Yoga: The Bhagavad Gita and The Yoga Sutra
• An understanding of the brilliance of Yogic lifestyle and how to live it through study of the seminal philosophical texts of Yoga: The Bhagavad Gita and The Yoga Sutra
• Increased observation, listening and communication skills
• A working knowledge of the Yogic body, from both the Western (anatomical) and Eastern (energetic) perspectives
• Sanskrit for Yoga
• How to assess and communicate to a classroom
• How to develop an integrated, safe and uplifting class plan
• Sequencing for multiple experience levels
• Asana labs
• Apprentice teaching with primary instructors
• Pranayama: breath work and the subtle body
• Partner work, practice teaching and assisting in a public class setting
• An introduction to working therapeutically for different injuries and conditions (including pregnancy)
• Restorative Yoga and the Stress Cycle
• Principles and practices of meditation
• Special topics with outstanding guest teachers
• Ethics and business of teaching Yoga
This program is for you if you:
• Have a passion for Yoga and a strong desire to enhance your knowledge and practice
• Want more balance, happiness and health in your life
• Seek new friendships
• Have a desire to be a serious teacher and share your Yoga knowledge with others
• Understand that Yoga is more than just a fitness program
What is expected of me?
Practice! Your individual practice is key to the wellspring of health and wisdom that is Yoga. You will be expected to practice a minimum of five days per week, for at least 20 minutes, and you will also journal as a tool to gain additional insight.
• Attendance at all trainings and workshops is mandatory in order to receive a certificate of completion and to graduate.
• Completion of all reading and writing assignments in a timely manner. No exceptions.
• Attendance in at least 20 classes (once per week) with Approved Teachers (a select list at Heartspace, or as approved individually by the Director) during the term of the course.
• Active participation and attentiveness at all trainings will enhance your experience in the course and will also help you to find your voice.
• Take and graduate from a CPR course.
• Show improvement in your personal asana practice and demonstrate an ability to understand asana dynamics.
• Be able to lead a basic yoga class.
What is the time commitment involved?
This course is purposely designed to create a positive shift in your lifestyle and personal evolution. It will require a strong commitment to study and practice consistently and with determination. Making Yogic studies a priority will require planning and flexibility on your part. Expect to spend at least a few hours per week reading and writing, and several hours per week practicing. You will also need to commit to attending one yoga class per week and all weekend trainings.
How it Works
The Yoga Vidya 200 Hour Training is a multi-weekend or weekday format, with significant work done outside of classroom hours as well. (Reading, writing, home practice, studying, etc).
A $700 non-refundable deposit is due immediately upon acceptance into the program, regardless of payment option. Here
Early Bird Registration: Paid in full 60 days prior to start date: $2,850 by personal check
$2,936 by credit card Here.
Regular Registration: Paid in full 30 days prior to start date: $2,950 by personal check
$3038 by credit card Here.
Payment Plan: Deposit (Due by start date): $1500 by personal check, $1,545 by credit card Here. (Includes $700 deposit upon acceptance into program) Installments (Due 11/1/18, 1/1/19, 3/1/19) $550 by personal check, $566 by credit card Here.
Excludes cost of books and required weekly classes.
Program Structure and Schedule
The Yoga Vidya Teacher Training and In-Depth Studies Program is a 200+ hour Yoga Alliance approved course. Lauren has been training teachers since 2004.
The weekend program is held at the Albany location and the weekday program is held at the Troy location.
Weekend program: Saturdays & Sundays 9-6pm at Heartspace Albany 2018: Sept 29-30, Oct 27-28, Nov 17-18, Dec 8-9, 2019: Jan 5-6, Feb 16-17, March 9-10, March 30-31, April 13-14
Wednesday Program: 9-3:30pm at Heartspace Troy. Most Wednesdays Oct 17, 2018-April 10, 2019 (graduation date is April 14th) and a few weekend days, tbd (no classes on 11/21, 12/27 & two other weeks tbd)
Yoga Vidya 200+ hour training with lead teacher Meghan Hogan!
Yoga Vidya at Purebred Crossfit in Clifton Park commences on January 6, 2018! Every Sunday immerse yourself in a yoga teacher training steeped in an ancient lineage and lead by a practiced, experienced, and accomplished graduate of Yoga Vidya Teacher Training.
Program runs 3 Sundays a month. Each day runs 9am to 6pm with a 75 minute lunch break. We will also meet 2 Saturdays, time TBD.
1/6, 1/20, 1/26 & 27, 2/3, 2/10, 2/17, 3/3, 3/17, 3/23 & 24, 4/7, 4/28, 5/5, 5/19, 6/2, 6/16
Dates may be subject to change. Plenty of advanced notice will be given if so.